Minor or Certificate in Biology
Students working toward an undergraduate degree at UC can earn a minor, while non-degree students (e.g., graduate students, non- matriculated students) can earn a certificate. The requirements are the same for both. See the Undergraduate Student Advisor in the Department of Biological Sciences to create a plan to meet the requirements outlined below.
Courses Required for the Biology Minor or Certificate
- Math: fulfills A&S math requirement.
Finite Math and Calculus MATH225, 226, 227 - 9 credit hours
Or Calculus I, II MATH251, 252, 256 (formerly 261 & 262) - 10 credit hours
- "First Year" Biology sequence BIOL101, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13 - 15 credit hours, fulfills A&S natural science requirement.
- First-year Chemistry 15 credit hour sequence CHEM101, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13 - 15 credit hours, also fulfills A&S natural science requirement.
- "Second Year" Biology: 301 Cell Structure and Function, 302 Genetics, 303 Ecology
(plus BIOL311-12-13 if taken between 1992 and Spring 2000) - 12 credit hours.
NOTE: Pre-Requisites (requirements) for enrollment for these three individual courses are:
- A combined average from these three courses: BIOL 101, 102 and 103 of a 2.0 or better and
- A combined average from these three courses: CHEM 101, 102 and 103 of a 2.0 or better.
- Two upper-level biology courses, one with lab - approximately 6-10 credit hours. *See the current list of "Upper Level Course" list. The choice of these should be discussed with the courses' instructors to prevent possible problems with lack: of prerequisites such as organic chemistry or physics.
Total required for the minor = 57-62 credit hours
A Comparison of the Major and Minor Requirements in the Biological Sciences
|Major Requirements||Minor Requirements|
|(Finite Math &) Calculus 9-10 credit hours||(Finite Math &) Calculus 9-10 credit hours|
|Physics 15 credit hours||---|
|First-Year Chemistry 15 credit hours||First-Year Chemistry 15 credit hours|
|Organic Chemistry 16 credit hours||---|
|"First Year" Biology 15 credit hours||"First Year" Biology 15 credit hours|
|Genetics, Cell and Ecology 12 credit hours||Genetics, Cell and Ecology 12 credit hours|
|*Six upper-level biology courses, two of which must have laboratories 18-30 credit hours||*Two upper-level biology courses one must have a laboratory 6-10 credit hours|